Rest in Louisburg

We spent another rainy day in Louisburg on Friday, and with nothing better to do, I wanted to go running.  It seems that I only go out running on rainy days.  Louisburg is a really small town.  Really really small.  I mapped out a route around the whole downtown area, and it was only two miles.  I decided to run to the high school track and do some speed work to get some more miles in.

The high school was only a mile away, but by the time I reached it, my ankle was hurting me.  I keep forgetting that I hurt my ankle somewhere between Annandale and Fredericksburg.  I think I must have twisted it the wrong way when my feet were so numb from the cold towards the end of that ride about a week ago, and it had been hurting ever since about halfway through each day on the bike.  I am always so relieved at the end of each ride, and my ankle hasn’t hurt me at all off the bike, so I never think to ice it.  I jogged back to the house without even going on the track and iced my swollen ankle.

I did some web editing and some reading but promptly fell asleep after a few pages and remained asleep for a few hours.  Liz had left for work at 3pm, and I woke up at 6pm.  Liz’s parents, Annette and Ray, drove Phil and me into Raleigh, and we all had dinner at the restaurant where Liz works – a Lebanese restaurant called Sitti.  The food was actually some of the best Lebanese food I’ve had, especially the dessert: ashta.  Sadly, I forgot to take any photos.

Phil and I walked around downtown Raleigh after supper, and eventually settled at a cafe/bar called Morning Times.  We met up with Liz when she finished work, and she drove us back to Louisburg.

About Sarah

Sarah grew up in Cranston - just south of Providence, Rhode Island - and developed a love for travel, music, and outdoor sports at an early age. She had started bicycling long distances at age 12, as a participant of the MS150 bike tours to raise money for the MS Society. She didn't use her bike regularly until she built her own while studying in Montreal and found it an excellent way to get around the city. After graduating from McGill and moving back to Providence, Sarah started working at Brown University's office of Environmental Health & Safety as the Biological Safety Specialist. She was living 4 miles away at the time, and for the first few weeks was driving to work. She made the switch from driving to bicycling when she realized that she could get to work faster, avoid parking tickets, and integrate a few miles of training into her day. Bicycling was better for the environment and better for her own health and mood. She found that she had more energy and felt much happier once she started biking to work. When her car broke down several months later, she never bothered replacing it. After 4 years of working in Biosafety (and on her master's in Environmental Studies), Sarah left her job to pursue her passion. She has been working various jobs in the bicycle industry since June of 2011, including pedicab driver, bicycle tour guide, bike mechanic and traveling bicycle advocate. In between seasonal jobs, she has done a few long-distance bike tours, which is the main reason for this blog. Her dream is to eventually ride around the world and sail across the oceans.

Posted on 5 November 2011, in Bicycle Touring, Providence to New Orleans. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: