Day 5: Norwalk to New York City

We had hoped to get an early morning start and beat the rain, but when Phil’s alarm clock went off at 6:30 I could hear it downpouring.  Michael had left even earlier, at 5am, so we ended up sleeping in until 8 or so.

It rained on and off throughout the day, but it was never too unpleasant.  We stopped around 11 for food, at a place called European Deli that was clearly Polish.  One highlight of the ride was when a woman started cheering for us from her vehicle, using an orange cone as a megaphone.  Penny rode alongside Phil for a bit, and he shared our website with her.  Cheering is always wonderful motivation, so we appreciate the support!

In front of the water in NYC

The worst of the rain happened after we made it into the city, and immediately after Phil changed his socks, since the sun had finally come out.  We were on a path along the river, and the wind was pretty strong.  I wanted to take a photo of the sky, but then it started raining heavily, so we found shelter under a bridge for a few minutes until we thought it had passed.  At least it wasn’t cold.

A few miles from our destination, a guy rode by on a touring bike with a For Sale sign on the back panniers.  I asked him how much he was asking for it, and he said that he had bought it new only two weeks ago for $2000 and ridden it from Toronto to Manhattan.  He was asking $1000.  I am considering it, since the bike I have is not designed for touring, but the frame might be too large.  My first fall of the trip happened when we were heading for the Queensborough Bridge on York Ave.  I was riding behind Phil and looked down at Garmin to see where to turn, when Phil stopped and I crashed into him, knocking off one of his panniers and falling over.  Fortunately, both of us and our bikes were fine.

We arrived at Rym and Emily’s apartment in Queens around 5pm, and waited in the lobby for Rym to get home.  After Phil and I had each showered and Emily came home, we went into Manhattan to have dinner with 6 of their friends at a Korean restaurant.  The food was incredible.  We are spending the weekend in NYC, so I will be seeing family and friends (and running) over the next two days before moving on south.

About Sarah

Sarah grew up in Cranston - just south of Providence, Rhode Island - and developed a love for travel, music, and outdoor sports at an early age. She had started bicycling long distances at age 12, as a participant of the MS150 bike tours to raise money for the MS Society. She didn't use her bike regularly until she built her own while studying in Montreal and found it an excellent way to get around the city. After graduating from McGill and moving back to Providence, Sarah started working at Brown University's office of Environmental Health & Safety as the Biological Safety Specialist. She was living 4 miles away at the time, and for the first few weeks was driving to work. She made the switch from driving to bicycling when she realized that she could get to work faster, avoid parking tickets, and integrate a few miles of training into her day. Bicycling was better for the environment and better for her own health and mood. She found that she had more energy and felt much happier once she started biking to work. When her car broke down several months later, she never bothered replacing it. After 4 years of working in Biosafety (and on her master's in Environmental Studies), Sarah left her job to pursue her passion. She has been working various jobs in the bicycle industry since June of 2011, including pedicab driver, bicycle tour guide, bike mechanic and traveling bicycle advocate. In between seasonal jobs, she has done a few long-distance bike tours, which is the main reason for this blog. Her dream is to eventually ride around the world and sail across the oceans.

Posted on 14 October 2011, in Bicycle Touring, Providence to New Orleans. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: