Day 12: Annandale to Fredericksburg, VA

We took yet another day off at Rosheen’s house in Annadale, where we didn’t even leave the house (aside from a 6.5 mile run I did in the afternoon).  After getting  more than enough rest, we took off around 11am on Friday morning.  It was so cold, we only stopped once every 20 miles.  After the first stop, I lost all feeling in my right foot and never regained it until sometime during dinner later that night.

There weren’t many places to stop and warm up along the way, and after the second stop, I was really worried that my foot would become frostbitten and need to be amputated.  Then, just 7 miles from the end, I saw a place called “Try My Nuts” and was instantly drawn to it, for both warmth and nourishment.  The man inside gave us several samples of nuts, all coated in different sugars, spices, and butter.  I probably would have had to stay for a few hours to warm up fully, but after sharing a hot chocolate with Phil and eating a pretzel coated in chocolate and mini Reese’s Pieces, we ventured back outside to finish the last few miles.

First time pitching the tent since we left

Fredericksburg is a lovely historical town, and we passed through a battlefield and a large park on our way into the town center.  Phil had charted out the day’s course to end at a church that looked like it had a large yard where we could camp.  When we arrived, he went inside to ask about pitching our tent, and the man inside generously obliged.

After setting up camp in the church yard and locking our bikes up, Phil and I walked into the town to eat dinner.  We ended up at a quaint restaurant called Jake & Mike’s, where we each started with a pint of beer.  I ordered seared escolar over spinach salad and Phil had blackened chicken over zucchini and mashed potatoes.  For dessert, we split a pumpkin bread pudding with dulce de leche ice-cream.  Everything was wonderful, and we were able to load the next day’s route into Garmin and charge up some of our electronics as well.  I am not looking forward to riding tomorrow, as it is going to be even colder and will be raining as well.

About Sarah

Sarah grew up in Cranston - just south of Providence, Rhode Island - and developed a love for travel, music, and outdoor sports at an early age. She had started bicycling long distances at age 12, as a participant of the MS150 bike tours to raise money for the MS Society. She didn't use her bike regularly until she built her own while studying in Montreal and found it an excellent way to get around the city. After graduating from McGill and moving back to Providence, Sarah started working at Brown University's office of Environmental Health & Safety as the Biological Safety Specialist. She was living 4 miles away at the time, and for the first few weeks was driving to work. She made the switch from driving to bicycling when she realized that she could get to work faster, avoid parking tickets, and integrate a few miles of training into her day. Bicycling was better for the environment and better for her own health and mood. She found that she had more energy and felt much happier once she started biking to work. When her car broke down several months later, she never bothered replacing it. After 4 years of working in Biosafety (and on her master's in Environmental Studies), Sarah left her job to pursue her passion. She has been working various jobs in the bicycle industry since June of 2011, including pedicab driver, bicycle tour guide, bike mechanic and traveling bicycle advocate. In between seasonal jobs, she has done a few long-distance bike tours, which is the main reason for this blog. Her dream is to eventually ride around the world and sail across the oceans.

Posted on 28 October 2011, in Bicycle Touring, Providence to New Orleans. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: